Stadler Altenrhein AG, Switzerland
Altenrhein, near the Swiss-German-Austrian border is the home of the competence centre for KISS double-decker trains. The plant was originally established by Claude Dornier in 1924 as Dornier-Werke Altenrhein AG. To enable the planes that were constructed there to take off, an airfield was built in Altenrhein, which went into operation in 1927. The world's largest ever waterplane, the Do X, was built in Altenrhein and tested in Switzerland. In 1949, Dornier became Flug- und Fahrzeugwerke Altenrhein AG (FFA), and the company began to build railway wagons. Wagon building became one of FFA's core areas of work; for instance, all the vehicles operated by Rhaetian Rail have been built in Altenrhein up to the present day. FFA was sold to Schindler Holding in 1987. Wagon building was retained at the site, and Schindler established a second wagon building subsidiary, Schindler Waggon Altenrhein (SWA). Stadler rescued the plant from closure in 1997, and took it over from SWA, including the 67-strong workforce. Two years after the launch of the articulated multiple unit, this was the equivalent of doubling the Stadler workforce.
At the Altenrhein plant a workforce of around 950 employees develop, manufacture and assemble KISS trains, trams, metre gauge rolling stock and passenger carriages, which is spread over 49,000 m2 of production and storage space. An engineering department with 250 highly skilled employees provides services for the entire Stadler Group. The Altenrhein plant has developed into a competence centre for calculations and certification.
Phone +41 58 595 50 00
Click here for directions